[R] Mapping of groups of countries

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 29 22:10:24 CET 2021

Hi George,
This example is obviously a mess, but it shows the basic elements. The
labels may be placed manually using something like boxed.labels
(plotrix) with lines connecting the labels to the smaller countries.
If you want the labels within the countries you will have to use a big
graphics device.

library(maps)
map("world")
countries=c("China","Bangladesh","Egypt","Indonesia","South Korea","Nigeria",
 "Brazil","Pakistan","Philippines","Vietnam","South Africa",
 "India","Mexico","Turkey")
countrycol<-c(rep("red",6),rep("blue",4),"green",rep("orange",3))
for(i in 1:length(countries)) {
 mapinf<-map(region=countries[i],col=countrycol[i],add=TRUE)
 xpos<-sum(mapinf$range[1:2])/2
 ypos<-sum(mapinf$range[3:4])/2
 text(xpos,ypos,countries[i])
}