[R] Adding SORT to UNIQUE

Stephen H. Dawson, DSL @erv|ce @end|ng |rom @hd@w@on@com
Wed Dec 22 16:47:49 CET 2021

Avi,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am unable to reply with the same
detail. Please do not take my lack of response depth as demonstrating a
lack of appreciation.

My intent was to post an open-ended question asking best process, not
best practice, to amend sort to unique. I posted code showing how I
arrived at my present status. The function read.csv reads a file in
table format and creates a data frame from it. No column types are
defined in the code. The scale of workload was not considered, as it is
beyond scope at this point in the dialogue. What is present is defining
what works, then selecting the efficient option for the scale of
workload to accomplish.

The biggest benefit of an open-ended question is dialogue members asking
questions to both confirm understandings and explore other
considerations. Asking a specific question is necessary for an
open-ended discussion, perhaps two questions. What often destroys an
open-ended dialogue is placing boundaries on the dialogue.

This dialogue has shown there is no single best process to add sort to
unique. I am fine with this outcome. It has been time well-spent for me,
and the dialogue members from what I read in their positions on the
concept of arranging data to be processed.

My definition of ease is simple: Whatever it takes to do what I need to do.

What is not included in this definition is mastering all aspects of step
one before I move to step two.

Sort() does care what is fed to it. This has been the case with all
occurrences of my experiences for both programming and using
already-built code. Computers have a funny way of doing what they are
told to do.

I do not want a language that has calculated every possible combination
of ways to combine functions and already made tens of thousands available.

I look forward to learning more about the over 100 languages you can
program during my journey to learn more about GNU R.

*Stephen Dawson, DSL*
/Executive Strategy Consultant/
Business & Technology
+1 (865) 804-3454