[R] Adding SORT to UNIQUE

Mon Dec 20 23:53:29 CET 2021

Hello,

Inline.

Às 21:18 de 20/12/21, Stephen H. Dawson, DSL via R-help escreveu:
> Thanks.
>
> sort(unique(Data[[1]]))
>
> This syntax provides row numbers, not column values.

This is not right.
The syntax Data[1] extracts a sub-data.frame, the syntax Data[[1]]
extracts the column vector.

As for my previous answer, it was not addressing the question, I
misinterpreted it as being a question on how to sort by numeric order
when the data is not numeric. Here is a, hopefully, complete answer.
Still with package stringr.

cols_to_sort <- 1:4

Data2 <- lapply(Data[cols_to_sort], \(x){
   stringr::str_sort(unique(x), numeric = TRUE)
})

Or using Avi's suggestion of writing a function to do all the work and
simplify the lapply loop later,

unisort2 <- function(vec, ...) stringr::str_sort(unique(vec), ...)
Data2 <- lapply(Data[cols_to_sort], unisort, numeric = TRUE)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas