[R] checkpointing

Mon Dec 13 19:51:38 CET 2021

On 13/12/2021 12:58 p.m., Greg Minshall wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> This sounds like an OS feature, not an R feature... certainly not a
>> portable R feature.
>
> i'm not arguing for it, but this seems to me like something that could
> be a language feature.

R functions can call libraries written in other languages, and can start
processes, etc.  R doesn't know everything going on in every function
call, and would have a lot of trouble saving it.

If you added some limitations, e.g. a process that periodically has its
entire state stored in R variables, then it would be a lot easier.

Duncan Murdoch