[R] readxl/lifecycle/rlang

Thu Dec 2 00:15:12 CET 2021

This

>package ‘rlang’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>Warning in install.packages :
>  cannot remove prior installation of package ‘rlang’

indicates that rlang didn't get re-installed. It is a warning because R seems to think it could still be working, but it isn't verifying that status.

Below that,

>ERROR: dependency 'rlang' is not available for package 'lifecycle'

indicates that there is still a problem with rlang.

The "cannot remove prior installation" often means that the installed package is open, or you have some other program (File Manager?) holding one of the directories open. Be sure to shut down all but one instance of R before modifying your package library.

It is also possible that anti-virus software is being overly protective.

And DONT keep bashing on the package that depends on rlang... install the one that was at the root of the problem: rlang. Only after that succeeds should you go back and try lifecycle. Once that one works, try installing/updating readxl again.