[R] Need help to unzip files in Windows

Andrew Simmons @kw@|mmo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 23 23:03:33 CEST 2021

Hello,

I tried downloading that file using 'utils::download.file' (which worked),
but then continued to complain about "damaged archive" when trying to use
'utils::untar'. However, it seemed to work when I downloaded the archive
manually. Finally, the solution I found is that you have to specify the
mode in which you're downloading the file. Something like:

URL <- "
https://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/series/GSE162nnn/GSE162562/suppl/GSE162562_RAW.tar
"
FILE <- file.path(tempdir(), basename(URL))

utils::download.file(URL, FILE, mode = "wb")
utils::untar(FILE, exdir = dirname(FILE))

worked perfectly for me. It seems to also work still on Ubuntu, but you can
let us know if you find it doesn't. I hope this helps!