[R] Apply gsub to dataframe to modify row values

Andrew Simmons @kw@|mmo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 9 15:26:20 CEST 2021

Hello,

There are two convenient ways to access a column in a data.frame using `$`
and `[[`. Using `df` from your first email, we would do something like

df <- data.frame(VAR = 1:3, VAL = c("value is blue", "Value is red",
"empty"))
df$VAL
df[["VAL"]]

The two convenient ways to update / / replace a column with something new
are also very similar, something like

df$VAL <- ...
df[["VAL"]] <- ...

As for the regex part, I would suggest using `sub` instead of `gsub` since
you're looking to remove only the first instance of "value is". Also, I
would recommend using "^" to mark the beginning of your string, something
like

df$VAL <- sub("^Value is ", "", df$VAL, ignore.case = TRUE)

I might be misunderstanding, but it sounds like you also want to remove all
leading whitespace. If so, you could do something like

df$VAL <- sub("^[[:blank:]]*Value is ", "", df$VAL, ignore.case = TRUE)

where "*" signifies that there will be zero or more blank characters at the
beginning of the string. You can try `?regex` to read more about this.

I hope this helps!