[R] Assigning several lists to variables whose names are contained in other variables

Sat Apr 10 06:32:36 CEST 2021

I freely admit that I do not understand what you mean. But it sounds like
you are trying to make things more complicated than necessary.

Perhaps this little example may help clarify the issues:

> a <- 1; b <- 2; d <- c(3,5)
> stuff <- lapply(list(a,b,d),function(x)x^2)
> stuff
[[1]]
[1] 1

[[2]]
[1] 4

[[3]]
[1]  9 25

> stuff[[3]]
[1]  9 25

Note that one may apply (almost) any function that returns objects (and
doesn't have nasty side effects, I suppose), including graphical objects,
and store them in the list that is returned. These objects can then be
accessed as usual and manipulated/displayed/assigned ... whatever.

If this misunderstands your query and is irrelevant, do not bother to
explain. Or reply. Won't be the first time I did not get it.

If OTOH this is a complete mystery to you, then you need to spend some time
learning about R lists and how. to use them.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."