[R] Split

Wed Sep 23 01:25:13 CEST 2020

To be clear, I think Rui's solution is perfectly fine and probably better
than what I offer below. But just for fun, I wanted to do it without the
lapply().  Here is one way. I think my comments suffice to explain.

> ## which are the  non "_" indices?
> wh <- grep("_",F1$text, fixed = TRUE, invert = TRUE)
> ## paste "_." to these
> F1[wh,"text"] <- paste(F1[wh,"text"],".",sep = "_")
> ## Now strsplit() and unlist() them to get a vector
> z <- unlist(strsplit(F1$text, "_"))
> ## now cbind() to the data frame
> F1 <- cbind(F1, matrix(z, ncol = 2, byrow = TRUE))
> F1
  ID1 ID2   text    1  2
1  A1  B1 NONE_. NONE  .
2  A1  B1  cf_12   cf 12
3  A1  B1 NONE_. NONE  .
4  A2  B2  X2_25   X2 25
5  A2  B3  fd_15   fd 15
>## You can change the names of the 2 columns yourself

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."