[R] Stats help for dissertation project

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Sep 19 13:32:58 CEST 2020

In fairness to Raija Hallam, I've met masters and doctoral students whose
supervisors hadn't a clue.  (Heck, I once worked at a University where the
staff evaluation process involved taking the means of 5-point ordinal
variables...)  Two of these cases stick in my mind: one where the student
had more observed variables than cases, and one where the student was
controlling for the effect of the order in which the treatments were
applied by applying the treatments in the same order to every subject.

To Raija Hallam, do web searches for "linear regression in R" and "logistic
regression in R".  Look at the R web site r-project.org, specifically at
https://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html
Print off a copy of that list of books, go to your University library, and
borrow a couple, maybe an introductory book and "An R Companion to Applied
Regression".

It is incredibly important that you have a very clear idea of your research
question, your experiment structure, and the nature of your data.
Here's one point which even your supervisor is very likely to miss:
the micronutrient analysis *MAY* best be regarded as COMPOSITIONAL DATA.
R has a package called "compositions" that may be helpful.  The description
says "Regression, classification, contour plots, hypothesis testing and
fitting of distributions for compositional data are some of the functions
included. The standard text-book for such data is John Aitchison's (1986)
``The statistical analysis of compositional data''. Chapman & Hall."

If I am right about this, then analysing your data using "standard"
techniques may be *seriously* misleading.  Ask your supervisor to
find a statistician who can talk to you about your problem; at my former
university we'd probably suggest inviting co-supervision to make sure
your statistical analyses are credible.