[R] R 4.0.2 not running on macOS 10.15.6

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Fri Sep 4 18:27:07 CEST 2020

Hi Mike,

The installation interface has a minimal process, where what may be optional components are left to you to install on your own. Thus, the Installation and Admin manual references these, as does the macOS FAQ, but the wording may leave open to interpretation what may or may not be required, based upon your specific use case. In some use cases, XQuartz would not be required and you need to go to a third party site to obtain it, much like you would need to for MacTeX or similar.

With respect to the lists, each R list is moderated by a volunteer, thus will require a subscription in order to get your posts sent out without manual intervention by the list admins/moderators. For example, I am one of the two Admins for R-Devel, along with Martin Mächler, thus spend some amount of time having to manually approve posts where the poster is not, and does not become a subscriber.

Once you subscribe, and your first post is approved, subsequent posts can get through without manual intervention, which is appreciated.

If you do not want to keep getting posts from the lists, once your issue is resolved, you can return to the list interface, sign into your account, and disable getting the posts. Of course, if you need to interact again in the future, you would need to remember to re-enable the posts being sent, as responses to posts do not always include you as a cc:.

Digests are available, but can be more complicated to interact with, in some cases, depending upon your e-mail client, if you should want to reply to a specific post. You can set this in your account settings for the relevant list if you wish.

One option for you to consider, is that I have server side filters/rules set up for the R lists (and others) that I subscribe to. These then move each e-mail from my main inbox to the relevant online (IMAP) sub-folder for organization. Thus, it keeps my inbox clean and let's me review relevant posts in a more efficient and focused manner.

Regards,

Marc