[R] Can anyone advise me on running R and Rstudio on an AWS virtual machine

Robert Knight bobby@kn|ght @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 14 19:16:27 CEST 2020

Would recommend a CentOS 7 HVM image, from centos.org <http://centos.org/> as the direct vendor rather than others in the market.   Activate a t3.nano with 512MB of ram, and then follow the instructions to get Studio server installed.  Create a new user for Studio-server.  Also, ensure that you have a backup plan because the security effects of RStudio server in that situation are not extremely well studied.  RStudio server doesn’t require web servers or anything like that.  A t3a.nano would be about 10% cheaper, but slower on the CPU clock speed, which might reduce performance.  If you are using Dplyr and multithreading your work then you might want to move up in the t3 offerings until you get one that has dual vCPUs, but the cost increases pretty quickly.  It’s great to have a Studio version that never changes or updates on you.  Ensure a backup plan in case the server gets hacked in some fashion.  You could restrict access to your own IP address in the AWS security group settings which would drastically minimize the risk of that.

Robert Knight