[R] [External] Re: unable to access index for repository...

Fri Oct 9 12:27:49 CEST 2020

    > Oh Hi Arne, You may recall we visited with this before. I
    > do not believe the problem is algorithm specific. The
    > algorithms I use the most often are BFGS and BHHH (or
    > maxBFGS and maxBHHH). For simple econometric models such
    > as probit, Tobit, and evening sample selection models, old
    > and new versions of R work equally well (I write my own
    > programs and do not use ones from AER or
    > sampleSekection). For more complicated models the newer R
    > would converge with not-so-nice gradients while R-3.0.3
    > would still do nicely (good gradient). I use numerical
    > graduent of course. I wonder whether numerical gradient
    > routine were revised at the time of transition from
    > R-3.0.3 to newer.

As R-core member, particularly interested in numerical accuracy
etc, I'm also interested in learning what's going on here.

I think we (R core) have never heard of anything numerically deteriorating
going from R 3.0.x to R 4.0.x,  and now you are claiming that in
public, you should really post *reproducible* code giving
evidence to your claim.

As was mentioned earlier, the difference may not be in R, but
rather in the versions of the (non-base R, but "extension") R
packages you use;  and you were saying earlier you will check
that (using the old version of the 'maxLik' package with a newer
version of R and vice verso) and tell us about it.

Thank you in advance on being careful and rational about such
findings.

With regards,

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R core team