[R] [EXT] Re: Inappropriate color name

Mitchell Maltenfort mm@|ten @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 20 13:50:06 CET 2020

Here’s a daft idea that brings it back to R

For packages where there are problematic names, have aliases with
acceptable names.

Perhaps create a package to hold all those aliases.

Then if a user wants their preferred names, load up the aliasing package
and change them in bulk.  Using a package means everyone has access to a
standardized set of alternative terms.

Just a thought.  Coffee may not have kicked in yet.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 5:36 AM Charles Novaes de Santana <
charles.santana using gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact that for the first time we have so many messages in this group is
> proof that the question asked by Lainey is appropriate and necessary.
>
> No language is static, they evolve thanks to discussions like this.
> Remember that github  stopped using the term "master" to describe the main
> branch of a repository for example.
>
> I wonder what would happen if there was a color named "redneck" instead of
> "indianred".
>
> Charles
>
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 at 10:37, Marc Roos <M.Roos using f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:
>

> >  >name since it conveys the wrong indication of its purpose.  But the
> >  >word 'racist' in itself is not offensive.  The act of being racist is
> >  >offensive and wrong.  Purging the word 'racist' won't help rid the
> >  >world of racism.
> >
> > Indeed, if you would go down this road, where does it stop? You would be
> > eligible getting discussions why the female species is described with a
> > longer word than the male. Why is there even a 'man' part in 'woman'. I
> > can bet there are man and woman finding this offensive!!!! ;)
> > What do you think about these symbols for male and female? Should be
> > changed also, this male is now pointing up to heaven =  good, and female
> > pointing down to hell =  bad? ;)

> --
> Um axé! :)
>
> --