[R] paste() turns list element character vector into deparsed expression. Why?

Ege Rubak rub@k @end|ng |rom m@th@@@u@dk
Tue Nov 10 08:30:38 CET 2020

I agree that it is weird, but I don't see that it is easy to coerce a
list to character of the same structure. In my example (missing the
trailing parenthesis, sorry...) the input is a length two list and the
output is a length two character vector, so in the general case the
rationale seems to be that the output should have the same length as
the input, which makes sense. What specific length two character vector
would you suggest for this example? Would you paste the elements
together with an arbitrary separator of your choice?

In the more general case these elements could be anything: numbers,
characters, functions or even new lists, and I agree that it most often
probably just would make most sense to return an error. Actually I
think it is a bad idea to call `as.character()` on a list in the first
place. Logically this doesn't make much sense. If you want to use
`as.charater()` on each element in the list you should use `lapply()`.

If you really insist on representing a complicated structure as a list
as character I don't see any better general way to represent the list
as character than what R currently does.

Kind regards,
Ege