[R] access for free more than 500 essential Springer Nature textbooks

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat May 23 09:52:17 CEST 2020

> My book is
> Statistical Analysis and Data Display, Richard M. Heiberger, Burt
> Holland, 2nd ed. 2015

In all fairness, I thought should look at your book.

I was quite impressed by the chapter on multiple comparisons.
And may look again, later.

In my personal opinion (diverging slightly), with more and more people
using extensive exploratory-style modelling, I think some of the
methods for multiple comparisons could (and should) be adapted to the
interpretation of exploratory plots.

And returning to your book...
There's relatively comprehensive chapters on multiple regression.
And I'm happy you used the term "explanatory" rather than "independent".
When people use the term "independent variables" (outside a
theoretical context) they usually go my how-did-these people-get-a-job
list.

Some comments:
(1) Expanding on the above point, I couldn't see a section on
interpreting regression coefficients, which is something people often
get wrong.
(2) It had a nice objective/frequentist flavor, but it would have been
nicer to see clearer references to robust, semiparametric and more
general nonparametric methods, even if only brief.

In principle, some of these (but not all) follow the same philosophy
as classical statistics, but allow greater flexibility.