[R] My dream ...

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 13 00:09:56 CEST 2020

Abby Spurdle:
In my opinion the advantage of computers is not Artificial
Intelligence, but rather Artificial Patience (most AI that I have seen
is really doing a bunch of what I would consider to be boring, really
fast so people don't have to).  Leave the Intelligence to the people.

Abby's response contains a complaint that is often directed at
technical advances. So what if we can devise a way to perform some
boring task rapidly? I answer that it allows us to delegate the boring
task to the machine and proceed with the integration of the results.
We run the risk of Douglas Adams' delightful result that we cannot
understand, but nearly all of the "big" scientific endeavors stand
upon the shoulders of machines doing boring tasks whose duration at
human speed would see us all out. My idea of AI is a sort of teamwork
between the error-prone synthesis of man and the precise analysis of
machine, not a struggle for dominance  of one or the other.

Jim