[R] the volcano orientation

Ben Tupper btupper @end|ng |rom b|ge|ow@org
Sun May 10 16:05:00 CEST 2020

Hi,

Hmmm.  The only place I have ever seen a georeferenced version of 'volcano'
is here...

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/blog/inlmiscmaps/

It was on the internet so I assumed it was true. Now, I suspect that, since
the original survey by Ross Ihaka, continental drift is happening waaaay
faster than anyone guessed. Could be a decent grant proposal somewhere in
all this.

Seriously, though, I haven't any idea why 'volcano' is the way it is shown,
nor was I awake enough to actually look at a map as you have done. I would
love-love-love to see a georeferenced version be part of the stars package
as example data. It's small enough to be lightweight but has enough
information in it to be handy for meaningful demonstrations. Maybe along
the lines of ...

https://gist.github.com/btupper/8e8eb8c0ebf4402a3f87b5638eca954a

... but with the correct spatial info.

Cheers,