[R] Converting CSV file to UTF-8 encoding

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 5 13:17:31 CEST 2020

What do you mean "ANSI"?
Do you mean ASCII?  In that case there is nothing to be done.
Do you mean some member of the ISO 8859 family of 8-bit character sets?
Do you mean some Microsoft-specific code page, such as CP-1252?
(Microsoft CP-437 and CP-1252 "ANSI" but if they have any connection
whatever with ANSI I would appreciate being informed of it.)
If you really do mean the ANSI Extended Latin (ANSEL) character
set, you are out of luck.

If it is supported in your environment, the easiest way is that use the
iconv() function.  That's what it is for.  See ?iconv.

But there is something easier, and that is not to.
Just let R know what the external encoding is, and just read the file.
If you check the documentation of read.csv, ?read.csv
you will find the fileEncoding="..." argument.

fileEncoding: character string: if non-empty declares the encoding used
          on a file (not a connection) so the character data can be
          re-encoded.  See the 'Encoding' section of the help for
          'file', the 'R Data Import/Export Manual' and 'Note'.

At a guess, you  want fileEncoding="WINDOWS-1252".