[R] Question about "sample" function and inconsistent results I am getting across machines.

Fomby, Tom t|omby @end|ng |rom m@||@@mu@edu
Sun May 3 07:39:58 CEST 2020

Please consider the following code:

set.seed(1)

train.index = sample(181,150)
head(train.index)
# [1]  49  67 103 162  36 159  Result from my ASUS computer
#
# [1]  68 167 129 162 43 14  Result from my wife's HP Pavilion computer

In both cases, version 3.6.3 of R are being used.

In addition, of the 20 students in my Predictive Analytics class, 14 got the first result while 6 got the latter result.  These results do not seem to be specific to MAC (OS) versus PC (Windows).  In several cases, students using 3.6.3 got differing results.  This makes grading of homework challenging not knowing which partitions of the data are being used by the student.

Thank you for considering my question.

Sincerely,

Tom Fomby

Professor of Economics