[R] doParallel cores HPC

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 27 05:20:05 CEST 2020

> On the other hand, [...], you can spawn 20 workers on each of the 10 hosts:
>
> makePSOCKcluster(names = rep(c('Host01', ..., 'Host10'), each = 20))

Unfortunately, this will most likely not work because it will require
200 open connections - one for each worker - but R limits you to 125
(see ?base::connections):

> A maximum of 128 connections can be allocated (not necessarily open) at any one time. Three of these are pre-allocated (see stdout). The OS will impose limits on the numbers of connections of various types, but these are usually larger than 125.

Depending on the system, you might be able to increase this by
rebuilding R from source after editing a hard-coded constant.  I've
verified that this worked on a local Ubuntu 16.04 system.  See
https://github.com/HenrikBengtsson/Wishlist-for-R/issues/28 for
details about this problem.

/Henrik