[R] Rstudio does not run on ubuntu 20

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 16 17:40:51 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 2:47 PM Luigi Marongiu <marongiu.luigi using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> all of a sudden rstudio stopped working on ubuntu 20.04. I
> re-installed from `rstudio-1.3.959-amd64.deb` but it does not launch
> even if there is an icon. On terminal I got:
> ```
> $ rstudio
> rstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot
> $ sudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0 libssl-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package libssl1.0.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'libssl1.0.0' has no installation candidate

This happens when you install the wrong rstudio binary for your
version of debian/ubuntu. Go to
https://rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download-server/debian-ubuntu/
and scroll down to "Install for Debian 10 / Ubuntu 18" and try that
one.

I think you had downloaded the binary for Ubuntu 16, which depends on
an old version of openssl.