[R] How to convert European short dates to ISO format?

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Thu Jun 11 15:29:13 CEST 2020

On Thu, 11 Jun 2020, Martin Maechler wrote:

>    > Look at Hadley Wickham's 'tidyverse' collection as
>    > described in R for Data Science. There are date, datetime,
>    > and time functions that will do just what you want.

> I strongly disagree that automatic guessing of date format is a
> good idea:

Martin,

I think either you misunderstood what I wrote or I was not sufficiently
explicit in my brief response. I did not mean to imply there was any
automatic guessing involved. Specifying input and output formats is
required.

Reading Hadley's book I was impressed that one could specify the format of
dates in the dataset and convert them all to the ISO-8601 format. Before
learning this I'd use emacs regex to do the reformating I needed (or,
sometimes, awk).

Regards,

Rich