[R] [External] Re: Playing a music file in R

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Thu Jul 23 20:19:12 CEST 2020

The R command
system.file()

tells you where the currently running version of R is located on your
machine and your operating system.

On the Macintosh it shows
> system.file()
[1] "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/base"

You don't need to worry about the R version number, as R knows where
it is and gives you the location
of the currently running version.  You can now open a system directory
file (Finder on Mac, WindowsExplorer on Windows, etc)
and navigate up and down to what you are looking for.

Or, within R, you can navigate with .. and more directory statements,
thus the example from the original email

setWavPlayer("/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/bin/play")
  # path depends on your R version etc.

would be written
tmp <- system.file("../../bin/play")
and the result is the correct location (if it is there).
You will get an empty string if it is not ther, but this will get you
started on where to look.
then you write

setWavPlayer(tmp)   # path depends on your R version etc.