[R] challenging data merging/joining problem

Sun Jul 5 23:52:42 CEST 2020

*Just my opinion* : --> feel free to disregard

I would suggest that you stop thinking in terms of tidyverse functionality
and instead think of what kind of data structure you need for your ongoing
work and where you will source data to populate that structure both now --
including legacy data -- and in future. *Then* you can decide what
functionality you need and whether/how tidyverse functionality meets those
needs. It sounds like you are tying yourself in knots by restricting
yourself to what you know of one limited paradigm. R has the richness and
flexibility to create general purpose data structures (e.g. via lists) --
tidyverse functionality may or may not be sufficient or convenient for your
needs **once you have fully defined them (which only you can do).**

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."