[R] piping in only specific parts of a certain column

Drake Gossi dr@ke@go@@| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 2 00:47:42 CEST 2020

Hello!

Question. I'm dealing with a large excel sheet that I'm trying to tidy
and then visualize, and I'm wondering how I might specify the data I'm
visualizing.

Here's the data frame I'm working with:

> str(unclean_data)
Classes ‘tbl_df’, ‘tbl’ and 'data.frame': 1909 obs. of  9 variables:
 $ unique identifier: num  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ question         : num  1 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 ...
 $ grid text        : chr  "******* and his family have lived and
worked in ******* for 6 years." "******* contributes to public safety
while also organizing community events. He said he hosts Trunk or
Treat, en"| __truncated__ "******* did not know the origin or history
of ******* PD, but he said it is integral to the safety of the area."
"The ******* PD ensures safety, he said, while also familiarizing
themselves with the town’s people. He said ev"| __truncated__ ...

The most important column is the $grid text one, and I know how to extract that:

> text_df_APPLIED <- tibble(line = 1:1909, text = unclean_data$`grid text`)

But my question is, what if I only wanted to extract stuff from the
$grid text column that was itself only correlated with the number 3 in
the $question column? So, instead of visualizing or rather tidying the
whole $grid text column, I want to only tidy a smaller portion of it,
only that which is indexed to the number 3 is the $question column.

Is there a way to do that in this line of code:

> text_df_APPLIED <- tibble(line = 1:1909, text = unclean_data$`grid text`)

Or do I have to FIRST shorten the $`grid text` column (shorten it to
only that which is indexed to 3 in the $question column) BEFORE I even
begin to tidy it?

I'm working with these libraries right now, if it helps:

library(tidytext)
library(dplyr)
library(stringr)