[R] Fwd: Extracting a particular column from list

Eric Berger er|cjberger @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jan 16 13:36:19 CET 2020

[Putting back onto r-help]

You could try sapply() and lapply().

> e <- sapply( 1:length(u), function(i) u[[i]][1] )
# [1] "1" "a"    (note that the integer 1 became a character string "1")

> f <- lapply( 1:length(u), function(i) u[[i]][1] )
[[1]]
[1] 1

[[2]]
[1] "a"

In this case sapply will try to create a vector, and all its elements will
need to be of the same type, so you end up with a character vector.
The second method returns a list, which may or may not be of use to you,
but each element of the list retains its type.