[R] make check fails -- how to debug

Wed Feb 12 22:42:55 CET 2020

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 19:32:34 +0000
"Barris, Wes" <Wes.Barris using cobb-vantress.com> wrote:

> I'm only trying to install the latest version on our servers for our
> users.

Are you allowed to use EPEL? This seems to be the officialy supported
way of installing latest R on CentOS [1]. It might be a good idea to
ask in R-SIG-Fedora [2] instead of R-help, too.

> Is this what I need to type?

The following command should more or less reproduce the test:

cd "$(mktemp -d)"

/usr/local/src/stats/R-3.6.2/CentOS/bin/R CMD build \
  --keep-empty-dirs /usr/local/src/stats/R-3.6.2/CentOS/tests/Pkgs/exSexpr

But the problem seems evident even without that.

> Note: I've installed the (many) rpms for texlive so that pdflatex is
> available.  Unfortunately, the same test continues to fail.  Here is
> the latest log:

<...>

> ! LaTeX Error: File `inconsolata.sty' not found.

Not sure whether Inconsolata [3] is packaged for CentOS, but it seems
to be required to build the documentation. It might be possible to
disable the use of this font [4], but I don't understand enough LaTeX
to comment on it further.

Either way, people on R-SIG-Fedora should be able to provide better
help installing latest R on a CentOS server than me.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

[1] https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/README