[R] Value Labels: SPSS Dataset to R

Yawo Kokuvi y@wo1964 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 7 21:31:30 CET 2020

Thanks for all your assistance

Attached please is the Rdata scratch I have been using

> head(Scratch, n=13)
# A tibble: 13 x 6
      ID           marital        sex      race    paeduc    speduc
   <dbl>         <dbl+lbl>  <dbl+lbl> <dbl+lbl> <dbl+lbl> <dbl+lbl>
 1     1 3 [DIVORCED]      1 [MALE]   1 [WHITE]        NA        NA
 2     2 1 [MARRIED]       1 [MALE]   1 [WHITE]        NA        NA
 3     3 3 [DIVORCED]      1 [MALE]   1 [WHITE]         4        NA
 4     4 4 [SEPARATED]     1 [MALE]   1 [WHITE]        16        NA
 5     5 3 [DIVORCED]      1 [MALE]   1 [WHITE]        18        NA
 6     6 1 [MARRIED]       2 [FEMALE] 1 [WHITE]        14        20
 7     7 1 [MARRIED]       2 [FEMALE] 2 [BLACK]        NA        12
 8     8 1 [MARRIED]       2 [FEMALE] 1 [WHITE]        NA        12
 9     9 3 [DIVORCED]      2 [FEMALE] 1 [WHITE]        11        NA
10    10 1 [MARRIED]       2 [FEMALE] 1 [WHITE]        16        12
11    11 5 [NEVER MARRIED] 2 [FEMALE] 2 [BLACK]        NA        NA
12    12 3 [DIVORCED]      2 [FEMALE] 2 [BLACK]        NA        NA
13    13 3 [DIVORCED]      2 [FEMALE] 2 [BLACK]        16        NA

and below is my script/command file.

*#1: Load library and import SPSS dataset*
library(haven)
Scratch <- read_sav("~/Desktop/Scratch.sav")

*#2: save the dataset with a name*
save(ScratchImport, file="Scratch.Rdata")

*#3: install & load necessary packages for descriptive statistics*
install.packages ("freqdist")
library (freqdist)

install.packages ("sjlabelled")
library (sjlabelled)

install.packages ("labelled")
library (labelled)

install.packages ("surveytoolbox")
library (surveytoolbox)

*#4: Check the value labels of gender and marital status*
Scratch$sex %>% attr('labels')
Scratch$marital %>% attr('labels')

*#5:  Frequency Distribution and BarChart for Categorical/Ordinal Level
Variables such as Gender - SEX*
freqdist(Scratch$sex)
barplot(table(Scratch$marital))

As you can see from above, I use the <haven> package to import the data
from SPSS.  Apparently, the haven function keeps the value labels, as the
attribute options in section #4 of my script shows.
The problem is that when I run frequency distribution for any of the
categorical variables like sex or marital status, only the numbers (1, 2,)
are displayed in the output.  The labels (male, female) for example are not.

Is there any way to force these to be shown in the output?  Is there a
global property that I have to set so that these value labels are reliably
displayed with every output?  I read I can declare them as factors using
the <as_factor()>, but once I do so, how do I invoke them in my commands so
that the value labels show...

Sorry about all the noobs questions, but Ihopefully, I am able to get this
working.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks - cY