[R] ggplot2::coord_fixed() margin problem

Sun Dec 20 18:56:18 CET 2020

On 20/12/2020 12:00 p.m., Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 17:43, Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas using sapo.pt> wrote:
>
> Thank you for trying to answer my question.
>
>> I am not sure I understand the problem.
>> With coord_fixed() both axis have the same length and the plot is a
>> square. When resizing the plot window the white areas can be on
>> top/bottom if the window height is bigger than its width or to the
>> left/right if it's the other way around.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does this answer the question?
>
> Nope.
> I really need the added space as the same color as the plot.background
> (yellow2) in the example below.
> However the code below generates a small white space. I was expected it to
> be the
> same as the plot.background color.
>
> library(ggplot2)
> g <-
>     ggplot() +
>     theme(
>        plot.background = element_rect(fill = "yellow2"),
>        panel.background = element_rect(fill = "yellow2"),
>     )
> g <- g + coord_fixed()

Set the background when you open the graphics device.  Assuming you've
run the code above,

dev.new(bg = "yellow2")

You'll still see the outline of the square; I don't know ggplot2 well
enough to know if that can be removed.

Duncan Murdoch