[R] How to obtain individual log-likelihood value from glm?

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Sat Aug 29 20:14:23 CEST 2020

Dear John,

If you look at the code for logitreg() in the MASS text, you'll see that
the casewise components of the log-likelihood are multiplied by the
corresponding weights. As far as I can see, this only makes sense if the
weights are binomial trials. Otherwise, while the coefficients
themselves will be the same as obtained for proportionally similar
integer weights (e.g., using your weights rather than weights/10),
quantities such as the maximized log-likelihood, deviance, and
coefficient standard errors will be uninterpretable.

logitreg() is simply another way to compute the MLE, using a
general-purpose optimizer rather than than iteratively weighted
least-squares, which is what glm() uses. That the two functions provide
the same answer within rounding error is unsurprising -- they're solving
the same problem. A difference between the two functions is that glm()
issues a warning about non-integer weights, while logitreg() doesn't. As
I understand it, the motivation for writing logitreg() is to provide a
function that could easily be modified, e.g., to impose parameter
constraints on the solution.

I think that this discussion has gotten unproductive. If you feel that
proceeding with noninteger weights makes sense, for a reason that I
don't understand, then you should go ahead.

Best,
  John