[R] install.packages() R vs RStudio

Abby Spurdle @purd|e@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Aug 18 04:08:17 CEST 2020

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
> R is designed to be flexible, and to let people change its behaviour.
> Using that flexibility is what all users should do.  Improving the user
> experience is what front-end writers should do.  I don't find it
> inadvisable at all.

Well, that's a big whopping U-turn.

Abby Spurdle wrote:
> There's a work around.
> You can redefine the print function, using something like:
> print = function (...) base::print (...)

Duncan Murdoch replied:
> That's a really, really bad idea.  If there are two generics named the
> same, how are your users going to know which one they are getting when
> they just say print(myobj)?

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2018-August/076581.html

I can't see how redefining a generic function is any different from
redefining a package installation function.
And can't help but suspect, you're making an exception for RStudio...