[R] Plot math symbol with string and number

Mon Aug 17 23:54:27 CEST 2020

"Plotmath seems to be the right way to do it. "

Not sure I agree with that. Paul Murrell put together plotmath around 2000
prior to the widescale development and adoption of the unicode standard
(corrections/modifications welcome!).  So at the time, there really was no
other way to handle this for most OS'es. With UTF8 now being generally
supported for Unicode, plotmath constructions may not be needed for simple
symbol labeling, as here. Of course for more complex symbolism (fractions,
integrals, ...) it will be. ?plotmath talks about this and has links to
further issues and options, btw.

In other words, unicode may indeed be better than my suggestion of plotmath
here.

I would welcome comments from others who are more knowledgeable about this
than I am.

Bert