[R] Best settings for RStudio video recording?

Mon Aug 17 20:50:07 CEST 2020

On 17/08/2020 9:20 a.m., Ivan Calandra wrote:
> I don't want to relight the fire, but I was wondering about that
> statement from John C Frain:
> "If you use RStudio and do not install any of the RStudio packages".
>
> I guess you mean that some packages are bundled with RStudio. I had
> never noticed any optional packages during the installation of
> RStudio... Is there a way to identify (and delete, if wished) these
> packages?
> Or have I misunderstood?

When you are running RStudio, your search list will include
"tools:rstudio".  It's not exactly a package, it's an environment
containing functions used by the RStudio front end.  You can delete it
and R will still work fine, but I'd expect some parts of the GUI to stop
working.

Some RStudio actions (e.g. clicking the "knit" button) will prompt you
to install packages if they are not found.  I don't think any of them
are "bundled" with RStudio, but I might be wrong about that.

RStudio definitely installs Pandoc and maybe some other packages.
(These aren't R packages, they are packages in a more general sense.)
Certainly you should be able to delete Pandoc if you have permissions to
install it; that may break RMarkdown if you don't have another copy
somewhere.)

To identify what R packages got installed, just run
"installed.packages()" before and after installing RStudio, and look for
differences.

Duncan Murdoch