[R] install.packages() R vs RStudio

Ivan Calandra c@|@ndr@ @end|ng |rom rgzm@de
Mon Aug 17 13:54:25 CEST 2020

Dear useRs,

Following the recent activity on the list, I have been made aware of
this discussion:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2020-May/466788.html

I used to install all packages in R, but for simplicity (I use RStudio
for all purposes), I now do it in RStudio. Now I am left wondering
whether I should continue installing packages directly from RStudio or
whether I should revert to using R.

My goal is not to flare a debate over whether RStudio is better or worse
than R, but rather simply to understand whether there are differences
and potential issues (that could lead to problems in code) about
installing packages through RStudio.

In general, it would be nice to have a list of the differences in
behavior between R and RStudio, but I believe this should come from the
RStudio side of things.

Thank you all for the insights.
Ivan

--
Dr. Ivan Calandra
TraCEr, laboratory for Traceology and Controlled Experiments