[R] Rtools required

Thu Apr 30 19:30:29 CEST 2020

Minimize the number of referenced contributed packages, and inform your students that they can (should?) opt to not install from source when prompted.

In fact, this could be a use case where using the checkpoint package could help you manage version conflicts ... once you find a time point for which all of the packages you want them to use seem to play well together, then they can invoke the checkpoint and be on the same page with you.

Of course, you will have to make other sacrifices, like using an older version of R (I don't think the MRAN historical package archive is keeping up) and not having access to some cool stuff from recent advances in package features, but there aren't many options that can keep 15000+ packages all working and bugfixed in sync.