[R] [FORGED] Re: pair correlation function of 3D points

Ege Rubak rub@k @end|ng |rom m@th@@@u@dk
Wed Apr 29 22:30:31 CEST 2020

Hi Abby,

Once again I must say your form of communication puzzles me. Do you
believe it benefits the open source community to communicate like this?
What about contacting the package maintainer in this way:

"Hi, I was helping someone else using your package to estimate a pair
correlation function. I was really puzzled that the generel help page
for `pcf` said it was a generic, but it doesn't seem to be generic for
the three dimensional case we needed, and no reference was given from
`pcf` to `pcf3est` which I had to search around to find. Maybe you
should consider throwing in a few cross references. Have a nice day."

I think this all would have played out much nicer then. None of us were
ignoring the original poster. We simply weren't aware of the OPs
problem until Rolf discovered it. I think Adrian and I focus on more
spatstat devoted channels to maximize the benefit of our time.

Regarding splitting the package into smaller pieces the thought has
occurred to us without your helpful suggestion. We started the process
of doing so years ago with the introduction of `spatstat.utils` and
`spatstat.data`. This is well documented on the spatstat GitHub page
referenced in the DESCRIPTION file. However, we have to prioritize our
time and it is quite a complex task to split out the relevant parts in
standalone packages due to all the interdependencies of the existing
code.

On a final note, to give you another example of a way to bring
attention to possible improvements of documentation: Let's say I was
looking at the function `marginal.set` in the package `probhat`, then I
would contact the author and say:

"Hi Abby, I was looking at the help for `marginal.set` and I couldn't
quite figure out what the argument constructor was supposed to be. The
help doesn't mention any class and contains no cross references
whatsoever and searching for 'constructor' in the R help system didn't
lead anywhere. Maybe a few cross references and actual usage of the
section 'See Also' would be beneficial for new users of your package.
It would be much better if instead of making assumptions about
assumptions you just use hyperlinks. Have a nice day. Kind regards,
Ege"

Where of course I would never use the sentence about hyperlinks in a
real example. I guess at this point I dug myself into the hole of bad
communication which is so killing for good software projects so
apologies for that. I do wish you a good day and hope you will consider
helping us all improve the state of open source software by
constructive suggestions rather than us claiming that each others
packages are unfit for CRAN.

Kind regards,
Ege

--
Ege Rubak, Associate Professor,
Department of Mathematical Sciences, Aalborg University