[R] help.start() caused high CPU loading

Jinsong Zhao j@zh@o @end|ng |rom ye@h@net
Tue Apr 28 10:05:52 CEST 2020

On 2020/4/28 15:44, Abby Spurdle wrote:
>>> Again, if R was using 25% while showing the prompt and waiting for
>>> user input, that would be a bug in R.
>>
>> 25% CPU is used by R. And R shows the prompt and waits for user input.
>>
>> Here is a report of the CPU usage by Rgui from Windows command line:
>> C:\Users\Jinso>typeperf "\Process(Rgui)\% Processor Time" -si 5
>> "04/28/2020 13:31:05.895","-1"
>> "04/28/2020 13:31:10.915","0.622494"
>
> I'm not sure how to interpret this.
> And I don't see where you get the 25% from.

The number in second column divided 4 would give the CPU usage, so, if
the number is 100 or above, then the CPU usage is 25% or more...

> I was suggesting something resembling the top command.
> (Re-iterating, I misinterpreted the ps command).

There are no ``top'' command on Windows. And I am not familiar with the
command line utilities on Windows.

Since I can not reproduce the same problem using R 3.6.3, I think it is
a bug in R 4.0.0. I have filed a bug report.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,
Jinsong