[R] [SPAM] Re: The "--slave" option

Benoit Vaillant beno|t@v@|||@nt @end|ng |rom no-|og@org
Sun Sep 22 08:34:52 CEST 2019

Hello Roy,

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 04:29:16PM -0700, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal via R-help wrote:
> don't reply.

While I could refrain from doing it up to now, these single words are
urging me to do so :)

On a personnal side I agree with you that (even public) research
should not be used to address the issue. R-help is far from needing to
kick low. We can do a lot better.

Here are a few of my thoughts I had while reading the thread:
 - the quiet option: already pointed out, won't expand
 - « Iron Maiden - Powerslave » (yes I listen to this kind of music):
   well, should the band rename itself, change the album title? :)
 - a more serious one, sometimes I use netstat. definitely not every
   day. So I need a way to remember the options, it's -taupe (in
   french, it means "mole", which does exactly what I want to do:
   dig). Remove the a, switch consonants and it becomes an other
   french word (translation: slut). Should we also ban short options
   that enables one to make such a reminder?
 - a bit of unix "porn":
     $ unzip; strip; touch; finger; grep; mount; fsck; more; yes; fsck; fsck; umount; clean; sleep
   If you see a message here, you are in trouble, these are only unix
   commands.

That's all!

--
Benoît