[R] The "--slave" option

Patrick Connolly p_conno||y @end|ng |rom @||ng@hot@co@nz
Thu Sep 19 11:17:50 CEST 2019

On Wed, 18-Sep-2019 at 02:58PM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

|> I think there is no confusion except in the minds of those with
|> nothing better to do. I agree with Antirez, quoted in [1], which
|> nevertheless indicates that perspective lost the debate.

I agree with Jeff.  Automotive hydraulics have used terms such as
'master-cylinders' and 'slave-cylinders' without such an issue for a
century or more.

If we have nothing else to do, we might want to purge ESS of its
so-called 'inferior processes', but it ain't me, Babe.

BTW: I've used R for 20+ years and never used a --slave option.
Should I get an award?

|> Any accurate alternative notation will have similar connotations
|> because in fact the "slave" side of that relationship is completely
|> subordinate to the "master" side... there is no escaping that
|> fact. It requires a very different and more complicated
|> architecture to achieve a "peer" relationship, which often is not
|> worth the effort or even appropriate.

|> So while Dr Lang may be mollified by a change in notation, someone
|> else is going to find the new words offensive and make the same PC
|> argument since the implications of the architecture have not
|> changed. In fact there should never have been a parallel drawn
|> between the morality of human slavery and computing architectures
|> to begin with.

|> [1] https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8x7akv/masterslave-terminology-was-removed-from-python-programming-language
|>
|> On September 18, 2019 11:57:32 AM PDT, "Patrick (Malone Quantitative)" <malone using malonequantitative.com> wrote:
|> >For what it's worth, this is an ongoing conversation in computer
|> >science and engineering. And has been so for decades.
|> >
|> >Not R, but related to this it's only in the past few months that a
|> >fork of the photo-manipulation software GIMP (slur for handicapped)
|> >renames it (GLIMPSE).
|> >
|> >Note, I am not saying this isn't a battle worth fighting.

|> >as

|> >when
|> >documentation

|> >decades

|> >evokes the

|> >and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
|>
|> --
|> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

|> and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

--
   ___    Patrick Connolly