[R] [EXTERNAL] Re: "chi-square" | "chi-squared" | "chi squared" | "chi square" ?

Mon Oct 21 18:05:55 CEST 2019

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:25:59 -0700
"Dalthorp, Daniel via R-help" <r-help using r-project.org> wrote:

> I'd like to see the statistics on it before jumping to a conclusion
> that the American preference is "chi-square" and the British
> preference is "chi-squared".

One way to get some data on this would be to count Scopus hits for
various usages in articles with different affiliations, with a query
like this:

{<usage #1>}
AND PUBYEAR > 1980
AND AFFILCOUNTRY(<country #1>)
AND NOT (
 AFFILCOUNTRY(<country #2>)
)

The year cutoff is here to show only the "modern usage" (the trends
look the same whether I leave it in or not). Intersections (papers with
authors from both countries and/or using more than one form) are a
minority and don't seem to reverse any trends, either. Here are the
results:

              UK    US
chi-square  4666 30159
chi-squared 1374  4798
chi square   769  3844
chi squared  142   197

"chi-square" seems to be the most popular form.

--
Best regards,
Ivan