[R] Double / single backticks for inline R code in an Rmarkdown file

Mon Oct 14 15:37:00 CEST 2019

No, you don't misunderstand. But you might want to be aware that targeting PDF output uses LaTeX which regards double backticks as a method of encoding a left curly double quote mark, so this error could derive from an incomplete adaptation of the Rmd file for HTML output even though such a symbol doesn't make sense there in PDF either.