[R] counting unique values (summary stats)

David L Carlson dc@r|@on @end|ng |rom t@mu@edu
Fri Mar 22 15:33:24 CET 2019

You have several problems. As David W pointed out, there is no replace= argument in the unique() function. The first step in debugging your code should be to read the manual page for any function returning an error. Also you did not include a comma at the end of the line containing replace=TRUE. Finally the code for counting the missing values is more complicated than it needs to be.

This code will only work if myData is a data frame that contains only columns with numeric data.

options(digits=4)
myData <- USArrests
summary.stats <- data.frame(mean=sapply(myData, mean, na.rm=TRUE),
     sd=sapply(myData, sd, na.rm=TRUE),
     min=sapply(myData, min, na.rm=TRUE),
     max=sapply(myData, max, na.rm=TRUE),
     median=sapply(myData, median, na.rm=TRUE),
     length=sapply(myData, length),
     unique=sapply(myData, function (x) length(unique(x))),
     miss.val=sapply(myData, function(y) sum(is.na(y))))
summary.stats

            mean     sd  min   max median length unique miss.val
# Murder     7.788  4.356  0.8  17.4   7.25     50     43        0
# Assault  170.760 83.338 45.0 337.0 159.00     50     45        0
# UrbanPop  65.540 14.475 32.0  91.0  66.00     50     36        0
# Rape      21.232  9.366  7.3  46.0  20.10     50     48        0

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4352