[R] Issue with t.test

SMRUTI BULSARI b@mrut| @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Thu Mar 21 12:07:06 CET 2019

Dear Jim Lemon:
First of all, very sorry for such a long delay in replying to your e-mail.
I am quite surprised that you did not receive the .csv and .R files attachment with my previous e-mail. I am re-sending those files.  However, by any chance, you do not receive them even this time, I must say that you have simulated the values that are almost similar in the example on which I undertook the one sample t-test using t.test. I have got a clear idea of how the t.test algorithm works and generates values through the communication with the R-team so far. Thank you very much for your detailed and prompt reply.
Kindest regards,
Smruti Bulsari

________________________________
From: Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com>
Sent: 14 March 2019 02:25
To: SMRUTI BULSARI; r-help mailing list
Subject: Re: [R] Issue with t.test

Hi Smruti,
In the example in question, you are probably doing something like this:

# I didn't see any attachment for the data
X<-rnorm(99,mean=59.96753)
t.test(X,mu=50,alternative="less")

       One Sample t-test

data:  X
t = 101.29, df = 98, p-value = 1
alternative hypothesis: true mean is less than 50
95 percent confidence interval:
    -Inf 60.07022
sample estimates:
mean of x
59.90779

What this probably means is since the lower confidence interval for
the test is undefined, the program returns a p-value of 1 as an
estimate, much like the p-value<2.2e-16 for the other tests.

> 1-2e-16
[1] 1

Neither of these values are exact, but indicate that the null
hypothesis should be accepted or rejected respectively.

Jim