[R] density vs. mass for discrete probability functions

JLucke m@iii@g oii ri@@buii@io@edu JLucke m@iii@g oii ri@@buii@io@edu
Fri Mar 15 21:39:03 CET 2019

Stefan---

Under the measure-theoretic approach to probability, discrete & continuous
probability densities follow the same underlying mathematical principles.
Check any text on measure-theoretic probability theory.

---JFL

Stefan Schreiber <sschreib using ualberta.ca>
Sent by: "R-help" <r-help-bounces using r-project.org>
03/14/2019 08:43 PM

r-help using r-project.org,
cc

Subject
[R] density vs. mass for discrete probability functions

Dear R users,

While experimenting with the dbinom() function and reading its
documentation (?dbinom) it reads that "dbinom gives the density" but
shouldn't it be called "mass" instead of "density"? I assume that it
has something to do with keeping the function for "density" consistent
across discrete and continuous probability functions - but I am not
sure and was hoping someone could clarify?

Furthermore the help file for dbinom() function references a link
(http://www.herine.net/stat/software/dbinom.html) but it doesn't seem
to land where it should. Maybe this could be updated?

Thank you,
Stefan