[R] Find the max entry in column 2 - that satisfies a condition given a fixed entry in column 1

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 22 08:23:24 CEST 2019

I have read your message four times in the last couple of days,
but I still have very little idea what you want.
Let's try some things I've gleaned.
You have a matrix with 9 rows and 2 columns, and there is a 2
somewhere in column 1.
> m <- matrix(1:18, nrow=9, ncol=2)
> m[c(4,7,8),1] <- 2
      [,1] [,2]
 [1,]    1   10
 [2,]    2   11
 [3,]    3   12
 [4,]    2   13
 [5,]    5   14
 [6,]    6   15
 [7,]    2   16
 [8,]    2   17
 [9,]    9   18
You want to select rows where column 1 is 2.
> m[,1] == 2
[1] FALSE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE
You want to select the corresponding elements from column 2.
> m[m[,1] == 2, 2]
[1] 11 13 16 17
You want the maximum of these elements.
> max(m[m[,1] == 2, 2])
[1] 17

You can do pretty amazing things with indexing in R without any extra
packages.

Of course, I have almost certainly misunderstood you.
Perhaps you can ask again, maybe with an example?