[R] R-help mailing list archives

Tue Jun 11 10:03:29 CEST 2019

 [..................]
 [..................]
 [..................]

    > This email list's archives:

    > Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and
    > answered many times already.

    > But know that before posting this, in addition to a normal
    > web search, I tried to find prior discussions on this
    > email list.

    > This is problematic.  The official site
    > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help says that the
    > only ways which partly work are the GMANE interfaces and
    > the Nabble one.

You misread what it tries to say. The first time it mentions 'archives'
it gives you the link showing 'R-help Archives' which goes to

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/

which are the official R-help archives (on that same server stat.ethz.ch
provided to the R community by the Math Dept. of ETH Zurich).
They work "fine" but don't have a nice 1-click search interface.
So you what has worked for ca 20 years
{{ but people probably
   mostly have not learned anymore thanks to the universally "fool
   proof" search interface
}}
still works fine: Use  the site:<SITE> trick,  i.e.,

where I found that adding "pipermail" is also somewhat important
to find more mailing list answers (than R help pages which are
also served from there).
E.g.,
      site:stat.ethz.ch pipermail R windows GUI scaling

finds a lot (but maybe nothing relevant to your search), notably
with Google;
a bit less unfortunately  with my usual search engine "Duck Duck
Go" (which is *not* keeping track as much as Google of everything I do )

    > I got a Error 522 page from GMANE.

Yes, unfortunately...  Should probably remove that link from the
R-help info page; it has gone for several years now AFAIK.

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich and R Core Team