[R] Tying to underdressed the magic of lm redux

Berry, Charles ccberry @end|ng |rom uc@d@edu
Sun Jun 2 05:23:23 CEST 2019

John,

I believe the pieces you are missing are filed under 'computing on the language', 'passing unevaluated objects', and 'language objects'.

Forgive me if I belabor things you already know.

lm, transform, and many other functions do their "magic" by operating on language objects.

You might find a read of the `Computing on the Language' section in Venables and Pipley's `S Programmming' useful aa background. There are probably many blogs and other on-line resources, too.

The unquoted things you want to operate on are language objects. deparse-ing those objects and trying to operate on character strings is one way to deal with such objects, but it can get messy.

You might find that `transform.data.frame' provides a useful example of how to deal with language objects provided as arguments to a function.

I suggest you try `debugonce' on lm and on `transform.data.frame'. Run an example of each and inspect each object created along the way.

For lm, you should aim to understand everything through this line:

 mf <- eval(mf, parent.frame())

Getting familiar with `substitute', `match.call', `eval', and friends will help.

HTH,

Chuck

p.s. It sounds like what you want to do is to extend `transform.data.frame' in some way. ??