[R] [FORGED] Re: Regarding R licensing usage guidance

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Wed Jul 24 23:49:15 CEST 2019

On 25/07/19 4:36 AM, Weiwen Ng, MPH wrote:

> Here's one way to phrase your reply:
>
> "I'd recommend you search Google. For example, the search string
> "proprietary use GPL" produces one hit that's clearly relevant to you:

<SNIP>

> This method is more neutrally worded. It doesn't insult the original
> poster. It doesn't assume the poster had bad intent.
>
> Instead, you chose to phrase it thus:
>
> "Your internet skills are pathetic. Search Google for "proprietary use gpl"
> and the first hit is ...  Note that there are (at least) three obvious
> alternatives if there is any question in your case ...   I think your
> desperation to steal the hard work of the various R contributors seems
> quite odious."
>
> Think about the overall tone of your post. Consider also that someone who
> agrees with you substantive argument said that your comments were "often
> (almost always?) a bit rough about the edges."

Yeah, but Jeff's rough-about-the-edges phrasing is much more colourful,
and colourful is *GOOD*.  There is far too much bland "Shhhh. We
*mustn't* offend anybody" content in current discourse.  Tell it like it
is!  Ripley into people!  If the recipient can't take the heat, he or
she should get out of the kitchen!

See also fortunes::fortune(87).

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P.S.  Jeff makes a huge and extremely useful contribution to R-help.  He
gives generously of time and effort to solve beginners' problems.  They
should appreciate the time and effort and not whinge about being offended.

R. T.

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics