[R] R 3.6.1 and apcluster package

Jan Galkowski b@ye@|@n|og|c@1 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 17 21:19:31 CEST 2019

> # Test for saving. Jan Galkowski, 17th July 2019.
> # produceProtectionFault.R
>
> library(apcluster)
> cl1 <- cbind(rnorm(100, 0.2, 0.05), rnorm(100, 0.8, 0.06))
> cl2 <- cbind(rnorm(50, 0.7, 0.08), rnorm(50, 0.3, 0.05))
> x <- rbind(cl1, cl2)
>
> ## compute similarity matrix and run affinity propagation
> ## (p defaults to median of similarity)
> simil<- negDistMat(x, r=2)
> apres <- apcluster(s=simil, details=TRUE)
> apresX<- aggExCluster(s=simil, x=apres)
>
> show(apres)
> show(apresX)
>
> saveRDS(object=apresX, file="foo.rds", compress=TRUE)
>
> #save(apresX, file="bar.data", compress=TRUE)
>
> #save.image("crazy.RData")

The example is from the apcluster documentation. Leaving any one of the "save"s uncommented produces said fault.

 - Jan

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, at 08:18, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> It would never make sense for such messages to reflect normal and expected operation, so hypothesizing about intentionally changing stack behavior doesn't make sense.
>
> The default format for saveRDS changed in 3.6.0. There may be bugs associated with that, but rolling back to 3.6.0 would just trade bugs.
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/NEWS.html
>
> On July 16, 2019 8:56:28 PM CDT, Jan Galkowski <bayesianlogic.1 using gmail.com> wrote:
> >Did something seriously change in R 3.6.1 at least for Windows in terms
> >of stack impacts?
> >
> >I'm encountering many problems with the 00UNLOCK, needing to disable
> >locking during installations.
> >
> >And I'm encountering
> >
> >> Error: C stack usage 63737888 is too close to the limit
> >
> >for cases I did not before, even when all I'm doing is serializing an
> >object to be saved with *saveRDS* or even *save.image(.)*.
> >
> >Yes, I know, I did not append a minimally complete example. Just wanted
> >to see if it was just me, or if anyone else was seeing this.
> >
> >It's on Windows 7 HE and I've run *R* here for years.
> >
> >My inclination is to drop back to 3.6.0 if it is just me or if no one
> >knows about this problem.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> > - Jan Galkowski.

> --

Jan Galkowski (o°)

607.239.1834 [mobile]
607.239.1834 [home]

bayesianlogic.1 using gmail.com
http://667-per-cm.net

member,

... American Statistical Association
... International Society for Bayesian Analysis
... Ecological Society of America
... International Association of Survey Statisticians
... American Association for the Advancement of Science
... TeX Users Group

(pronouns: *he, him, his*)

*Keep your energy local*. --John Farrell, *ILSR <http://ilsr.org/>*